Sunday, March 18, 2012

--  I,THOMAS GARRETT

Thomas Garrett, a Quaker living in Wilmington Delaware was an ardent abolitionist. He helped numerous enslaved people escape, making his home a station on the Underground Railroad.  His efforts as a "station master" was well-known. At one point, he was convicted of violating the law, with a  penalty of a fine in the amount of $4,500... a huge sum in those days. Despite all efforts to stop him, he persevered.  He assisted Harriet Tubman, a successful conductor on the Underground Railroad.

The Song



Instrumental

Lyrics

I Thomas Garrett, my life-long mission.
To free the country from our  national curse.
'Cause slavery ensnares us, all Americans...
Binds us to evil, there's nothing much worse.

I'll risk my money, I don't give a damn. 
I'll do what I must, even if I go to jail.
And if these things happen, it'll toughen my will.
To help those in need... I'll not fail.

So many enslaved folks have
come through my door.
I'll do what I can, always try to do more.
Assisting them on their way, going forth.
Running secretly, destination north.

And I Thomas Garret, will carry on,
These people's long journey, It's mine as well.
They're my sisters and brothers,
I'll see them free,
By providing safe passage, from their hell.

Cause this country started with a liberty cry...
I'll keep pressing for freedom, till the day I die.


Click on the music below to see the entire transcription


Improvisation  

No comments:

Post a Comment